Explore Pokhran Fort through Palace on Wheels Train
The largest district of Rajasthan, Jaisalmer is the home ground of a world famous city Pokhran.Pokhran, literary means ‘the place of five mirage’, is located in the heart of the Thar Desert and became famous in 1974 with India’s successful Nuclear Weapon testing. But there is another reason for its international fame and that is Pokhran Fort.
MarwarThakur, Rao Maldeo built this yellow sandstone marvel in the 14th century. Pokhran fort is also known as Balagarh. This fort is not as grand as the other of Jaisalmer or Jodhpur but still it reflects the royalty of Rathoreclan.
Places to Visit
Inside Palaces: Inside the fort travelers can visit palaces like Phool Mahal, MangalNiwas, Rani Mahal and Hawa Mahal. All this structured are built in Mughal and Rajputana style.
Pokhran Museum: This well stoked museum displays the painting, costumes, weapons and other artefacts, once used by the Royal families.
Ramdevra Temple: This eternal resting place of Baba Ramdev, a sacred saint of Rajasthan, is very famous among the locals. In his honor, each year locals organize here a large fair between the months of August to September.
Heritage Hotel: A major part of this fort now has been converted into a heritage hotel. Run by the Thakur Families, this hotel is equipped with modern facilities like air condition rooms, swimming pool and a multi cuisine restaurant.
Apart from this tourists can also visit Raghunath Temple, Bal Krishna Temple and the cannons placed on the roof of the Fort.
- Do carry a camera, as this fort is a very good location for photography.
- The entry fee for this fort is Rs 20 and for still camera and video camera charges are Rs 50 each.
- Winter is the best time to visit.
- Due to the desert area, the temperature of this place is very high. Carry bottles of water and take proper care of yourself.
- It will take 1 hour to complete the entire area.
- The fort is open for all days from 9:00 am to 8:00 pm.
- Tourist can enjoy the local cuisines in the nearby restaurant like Sonamswee, Udani Hotel and Manasarover Restaurant.
- Other tourist spots like Ramdevsar Lake and Jain temples are not far away from this fort.
Palace on Wheels
Winner of multiple prestigious awards and recognition including PATA Gold Award and 4thbest luxurious train in the world title, Palace on Wheels luxury train is a joint ventured of Indian Railways and Rajasthan Development Tourism Corporation. Designed with 32 Deluxe and 2 Super Deluxe cabins, this express is equipped with all the modern facilities of today like Wi-Fi, air condition, DVD player, attached bathroom, saloon, aryuvedic spa, one bar cum lounge etc. Two restaurant, named as the Maharaja and the Maharani are also there to provide continental, Chinese and tradition foods of Rajasthan.
Palace on Wheels offers a weeklong trip which helps to discover this legendry land.
- Palace on Wheels -7 nights/8 days
New Delhi-Jaipur-Ranthambore-Chittorgarh-Udaipur-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-Bha ratpur-Agra-New Delhi
So if you want to enjoy the beauty of Pokhran fort with a royal treatment, Palace on Wheels is ready to fulfill your wish.